Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tiramisu

This isn't the best picture, because I hadn't allowed it to completely set up, but belive me when I say: This is soooo yummy! You'll need to start this recipe early in the day as it takes a while to set up, so plan accordingly.


Ingredients:
6 Egg Yolks
3/4 C Milk
1 1/4 C Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 t Vanilla
1# Mascarpone (I buy 2-8oz. tubs from the special cheese section at the HEB deli)
1/4 C strong brewed coffee or brewed espresso roast, room temperature
2T Rum
2-3oz pkgs Lady fingers
1 T unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1. In a medium sauce pan, whisk together egg yolks & sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk & cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat & allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly & chill in refrigerator 1 hour.

2. In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form (I've been using the whisk attachment on my hand mixer and it goes pretty quickly). Note: If, like me, you've never made whipped cream from scratch you might be expecting this batch to be nice and sweet. It's not. Don't freak out. It all works out in the end, I promise. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.

3. In a small bowl, combine coffee & rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise (unless they're already split). Note: I use the soft ladyfingers (I just found out that there are hard ones) so I've found that the best way (when using the soft ones) to coat the cookies in coffee without them falling apart in your hand later is to layer them in the pan then, using a spoon, drizzle the cookies with the coffee. If you're using the hard cookies I'm told you can soak them in the coffee without their falling apart while you're handling them.

4.If you're using soft cookies arrange half of the cookies in the bottom of a 7"X11"X3" pan and drizzle with coffee, if you're using the hard cookies soak them in the coffee before layering. Spread 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then 1/2  of the whipped cream over that. Repeat layers & sprinkle with cocoa. Cover & refrigerate 4-6 hours, until set.

Serves 12
Calories: 387/serving
Fat: 30g/serving

2 comments:

  1. Ok, here we go Misty, my first contribution...

    Here's my favorite pan seared tuna recipe...

    Pan seared tuna with avocado and a cilantro lime sauce.

    2 big handfuls of cilantro leaves, chopped
    1/2 jalapeno, sliced
    1 tsp grated fresh ginger (I use a bit more)
    1 garlic clove, grated or minced
    2 limes, juiced
    2 tablespoons soy sauce ( I used low sodium)
    pinch sugar
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 sushi quality tuna steaks
    1 avacado, sliced

    in a mixing bowl, combine the cilantro, jalapeno, ginger, garlic, lime, soy sauce, suger, salt, pepper, and 2 T of olive oil...I whisk this together.

    heat skillet over med high heat and coat with remaining 2 T of olive oil. season tuna with salt and pepper. lay the tuna in the hot oil and sear for at least one minute on each side to form a slight crust. pour 1/2 of the cilantro sauce on the tuna in skillet.

    Now the recipe says to service the tuna sliced with the avacado and drizzle the remaining sauce on the plate. what i do is mix the remaining sauce with rice wine vinegar and service the tuna and avacado sliced on top of a green salad and use the sauce with the vinegar as a dressing. it's super good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, and I'm gonna have to try this tiramasu recipe, sounds awesome!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete