Monday, September 26, 2011

Homemade Frito Pie

I know most people just pop open a can of Wolf Brand when they want Frito pie, but that always leaves me feeling like I need a shower after I eat it. It's what I call "Eatin' Dirty". Other meals in this category include anything from the pre-made frozen foods section at the grocery store, anything with the word "helper" in the title, and anything from a fast food place...so basically anything good. This chili makes a TON so once it's made it's just as convenient as the canned stuff (mostly) and a whole lot better for you. Plus, I'm able to sneak in all the veggies and my kids don't mind. There are 2 places I "play" with this recipe a little: the meat (you need 3# total pounds and one of them should be Italian Sausage for the flavor, but you use whatever you want), and the beans (you need 45-60 oz. - yes, Sarah, that is a lot of beans, but stick with me and you'll see where I'm going with this - you pick your favorites. I usually stick with black and pinto). Also, if you want a drier chili so your chips won't get extra soggy drain the liquid from anything canned.

2# Ground Beef (I use ground turkey to make it healthier)
1# Italian Sausage (sometimes you can find this as regular ground meat, but if all you can find are the links those will work, too, just take the casings off and crumble the meat into the pan)
1 medium sized Sweet Onion, diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
45 oz. canned Diced Tomatoes
1 T Cumin
1 T Chili Powder
15 oz. can Black Beans
15 oz. can Pinto Beans
15 oz. can Kidney Beans
(I just use 1 30 oz. can of Black & 1 30 oz. can of Pinto for mine)
1 package Chili Seasoning
2 C chopped celery (leaves, too)
Corn chips of your choice (FRITOS!)
Toppings of your choice

Brown meat, drain & set aside. Over medium heat saute onion, bell pepper & tomatoes. Add cumin & chili powder, & cook for 8 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add the beans, meat, chili seasoning & celery. Let simmer & slow cook for 4 hours. (NOTE: to cook faster, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for 20 minute, or until celery is tender.) Serve over chips and top as you like. We use shredded cheddar, sour cream and diced green onions.

2 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that once it's done and you've eaten what you want for that night, this is one of those meals you can freeze and use later. Just remember to divide it up so you aren't defrosting and cooking more than you can eat in one meal!

    ReplyDelete