Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pinto Bean Soup

I had to double check to make sure I hadn't already posted this one. It's getting cold outside which makes me start thinking soups & stews. This is a true family favorite. We eat it as a soup one night with cornbread on the side and the next we drain off a bunch of the liquid, add more beans, heat and serve over tamales. Also, if you're a purest when it comes to cooking and you insist on using dry beans and soaking them, knock yourself out. I have 3 kids and three dogs (and if we're being really honest...a husband who acts like one of the kids sometimes), so the canned beans work just fine for me.

Ingredients:
32 oz. can Pinto Beans
1 lb. bacon, chopped
2 T minced garlic
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1/2 C chopped onion
1 1/2 t Cumin
11/2 t Chili Powder
1 C Roma tomatoes, chopped
36 oz. Beef Broth

In a stew pot, cook bacon until well done. Add garlic, 1-2 T cilantro, and onions, cook until onions are translucent (about 10 min.). Add beans, cumin and chili powder. Stir in tomatoes & beef broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. (Note: To use as a simple side only put enough beef broth to cover the beans.)

P.S. In an effort to stay honest. I "borrowed" this picture from a website. I keep forgetting to take one of my own, but trust me, it looks just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment